---
Hello Killington Riders,
There are a little more than seven weeks left before we gather in Vermont to ride for a cure. As coaches, we want to make sure that you reach the goals you set for yourself, and arrive at the finish line in Killington safe, sound and smiling. To that end, we want to share some information about the ride, and some thoughts about final preparation for it:
- The weather in Killington should be a relief to us North Carolina folks. After a summer of heat and humidity we can look forward to cool mornings (mid-50s) and mild afternoons (mid-70s). Late August in VT can bring rain, so you should be prepared for it.
- We'll ride an out and return course, with a short loop at the far end. In terms of difficulty, it's described as more difficult than Whitefish but not as difficult as Sonoma. The most difficult climb is at the end of the route; otherwise, the route is rolling, albeit with one 12 mile section on the return leg that climbs at an average of 2%. Traffic is relatively light, and drivers in VT are described as "polite."
- With fewer than two months to go, you should evaluate your fitness and goals. Look at the number of training miles you have behind you so far, and think about the pace you're comfortable riding for long distances. This isn't a race, but if you're planning to tackle a metric or full century you'll need to be able to maintain a pace that will allow you to complete the ride before the course closes. Your goals should be your goals; the Cure won't happen any faster if you ride 100 miles instead of 25!
- Fitness is important, but so is feeling comfortable on your bike. Have you been riding with others, and are you comfortable in a group? Are you concentrating on eating and drinking while riding, so you finish well hydrated and with plenty of energy?
Your coaches,
Thanks for this. I think our riders can always use any gentle reminders we can offer them. We're incorporating hills into our training rides and your letter will reaffirm our reason for doing this. The rain preparation reminder is also appreciated. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteJoe Brady
Western Wisconsin
Very well written, a lot of good points covered.
ReplyDeleteOf course now I want to be going to Vermont.
I think this is dang near perfect and I'd have no issues w/ "borrowing" it pretty much verbatim for our riders. I sent out something like it after I got back from Sonoma but this is probably more complete.
ReplyDeleteNice work! See y'all in VT.
MC
Thanks for sharing this I will be using this for both my Vermont & Montana riders.
ReplyDeleteAlex
Indiana